Pykenham's Gatehouse

Northgate Street. Built by the Archdeacon of Suffolk, this important 15th century property was restored by the Trust in 1983 and is leased from the Ipswich and Suffolk Club. It is used by the Trust as its Headquarters. We include here an essay kindly written for us on Archdeacon Pykenham's House by noted local historian, Dr John Blatchly expanding on his talk at the Trust's Corporate Guest Evening (see News).

Ipswich Building Preservation Trust.  Pykenhams Gatehouse interior 1

Ipswich Building Preservation Trust Pykenham's Gatehouse

 

Ipswich Building Preservation Trust Pykenham's Gatehouse

1982 – prior to restoration

Ipswich Building Preservation Trust Pykenham's GatehouseIpswich Building Preservation Trust Pykenham's Gatehouse

 

 

Ipswich Building Preservation Trust Pykenham's Gatehouse

Ipswich Building Preservation Trust Pykenham's Gatehouse

Etching by J.S. Corder 1890

Ipswich Building Preservation Trust Pykenham's GatehouseIpswich Building Preservation Trust Pykenham's Gatehouse

Ipswich Building Preservation Trust.  Pykenhams Gatehouse interior 2